Welcome to the 429th version of Android Apps Weekly. Here are the large headlines from the final week:
- T-Mobile is dealing with an unblockable phishing assault proper now. It was first reported by the NJCCIC. Basically, the rip-off entails texts to customers thanking them for paying their payments and providing a free reward. It’s troublesome to dam as a result of they use group messaging and that’s a bit extra tough to dam than regular. In any case, examine the hyperlink if you’re a T-Mobile subscriber to ensure you don’t get hit.
- CNN Plus is being shuttered on April 30th, 2022. The reasoning is fairly obvious. It wasn’t widespread and no person needed it anyway. The service reportedly had lower than 10,000 complete subscribers and that’s about as unhealthy because it will get. Some of the content material might discover its method to HBO Max, however in any other case, let’s simply fake like this by no means occurred as a result of that’s what Warner Bros. Discovery goes to do.
- A third-party tool that installed the Google Play Store on Windows 11 machines apparently additionally installs malware. The app is Windows Toolbox and on high of the Play Store, it additionally installs some sketchy scripts together with a malicious Chrome extension. The extension redirects customers to affiliate and referral hyperlinks whereas additionally stealing private information. Hit the hyperlink to be taught extra.
- Netflix introduced a number of issues this week. The first was that they misplaced 200,000 subscribers over the primary quarter of 2022. That’s not nice information. The firm adopted it up by asserting an ad-supported plan that’s cheaper than the inventory plans. Finally, in addition they introduced that account sharing is mandatory throughout all accounts. We requested our readers and they are summarily displeased with most of it.
- Google is killing off call recorder apps. The firm restricted the performance on earlier variations of Android. It’s not killing it off for good this time. The firm is banning all name recorder apps from the Play Store beginning on May eleventh. It does so by limiting the usage of the Accessibility API. However, the loophole is that inventory dialer apps don’t want the API to name report calls. Thus, name recording is on the discrepancy of the OEM and never of app builders. We’ll see how this pans out over time.
Price: Free to play
Berserker Online is an idle sport with RPG parts. It performs as you would anticipate. You sit round whereas your heroes beat up enemies and degree up. The sport additionally boasts dungeons, bosses, and a PvP area. It makes use of the traditional mixture mechanic to make weapons stronger. The builders over-promise a few of their mechanics, however it’s nearly as good a time waster as you’ll get within the style. Unfortunately, the sport had some release-day bugs that triggered some points with individuals loading the sport. We assume they’ve it labored out, but when not, give it one other few days.
Price: $0.99 every
Zola Watchfaces is a developer on Google Play they usually launched a number of new Wear OS watchfaces not too long ago. The themes are subtly completely different between them, however most of them have comparable options. They embody a battery standing, always-on show, 24 or 48 hour modes, and extra. They aren’t essentially the most sport altering watchfaces you’ll ever see. However, they’re a cheap approach so as to add a little bit of aptitude to your smartwatch if you need to.
Price: Free to play
Time Defenders is a cellular gacha RPG. It boasts a roster of over 70 heroes and there are virtually actually extra to return. What makes this sport fairly respectable is the execution. The characters are totally voiced with respectable animations. The story just isn’t unhealthy and the entire bundle performs fairly nicely. It has quite a lot of the standard gacha pitfalls like tedious grinding to improve items. However, you can grind for improve supplies as an alternative of needing a number of pulls. It’ll get extra grindy and tedious over time as all gachas do, however it’s actually not horrible.
Proton Calendar is the newest app within the Proton software program suite. The beta launched to be used though you do have to be an present Proton person to make use of the calendar. The calendar itself is fairly good. It consists of widgets, recurring occasions, a day by day planner operate, and a darkish mode together with the sunshine mode. This one separates itself from the pack by having end-to-end encryption on servers which might be based mostly in Switzerland. It’s about as protected of a calendar as you can get in 2022. Again, you need to be an present Proton person to get into the beta, however hopefully that goes away when the app formally launches.
Dungeon of Gods
Price: Free to play
Dungeon of Gods is an motion RPG with quite simple mechanics. It’s mildly harking back to Nonstop Knight so if you’ve performed that, you have a form of thought of what you’re in for. You drop in, stroll round, and kill a bunch of unhealthy guys. From there, you earn loot, keep forward of the issue curve, and maintain going. That’s the fundamental sport loop though there are a number of different issues you can do. It’s an honest little time killer and the microtransactions might undoubtedly be worse. The solely points are some early bugs that may trigger the occasional crash or connection challenge.
If we missed any nice Android app or sport releases or information, inform us about it within the feedback.
Thank you for studying. Try these out too: